Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nathicana Interview


clinton - vocals
alex- guitar
tom - bass
mark - drums

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
We’re a four-piece extreme metal band. We have Tom on bass, he’s a pretty huge guy with Norse blood in him, and his bass doubles as a murder weapon. Mark is the drummer, in his spare time he trains his calf muscles by going around town kicking chavs in the head. Clinton is our vocalist, he can scream all day and talk perfectly fine afterwards. I think for practice he gargles knives or something. I’m Alex, I come from Malaysia and I’m basically just a guitar bum. The band has been going for about 10 months – in that time we’ve recorded a demo, played 5 gigs, and matured a hell of a lot as musicians. (Alex)

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
I dont think there is a set genre or sound to our music since we all bring a variety of different metal into our songs, I wouldn't call us death metal but I wouldn't call us black metal either I would just say extreme metal becuase we take a lot of influence from both sides and from other genres as well (Tom)

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Lyricly there is no one topic. The content ranges from fantasy to personal dark experiences and philosiphies. Story telling plays a big part to bring you into another realm influenced by some of the most disturbing things I've encounterd or dreamt up. (Clinton)

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Although we are more than aware Nathicana is an awsome song by 1349 we took our name from the poem by H.P Lovecraft. It is a parody on stylistic excess which have no meaning, but as all things you can interperete how ever you like. I think it fits the band well as we dont give in to any trend and have any fancy look at me bull shit. (Clinton)

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Our first headline gig at The Peel in Kingston was our best performance so far, I think. It’s great having bands play before you to get the crowd energized (even if the crowd isn’t very big). When playing live we try to be as energetic as possible and get as much power and ferocity into the music as we can. Above all we get really into the music and have fun. (Alex)

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yes if we are lucky enough to get signed, I think the best place to tour would be europe since there isn't as big of a fanbase for extreme metal in england as there used to be, it's all just shitty core metal right now (Tom)

7. Currently you are unsigned are you looking for a label and if so, what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?
Personaly I think candlelight and peaceville would be an ideal choice for our music and they are home to so many of our favourite bands so maybe we can do some mighty tours haha (Mark)

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and extreme metal?
So far I’ve found that even non-metalheads that I’ve shown our tracks to have been able to appreciate us – I think it’s partly because the songs are quite distinct; the riffs are really simple, but rhythmically powerful and with a lot of energy, so they can actually get into it on that level. As for metalheads, the reaction has been pretty positive. A lot of people say we sound raw and old-school, which is great. I'm currently visiting my family in Malaysia so I'll be spreading some of our demos around and seeing what the Malaysian scene thinks of us! (Alex)

9. Are there any other current side projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Me and mark are currently working on a pure black metal project but its only in our spare time as Nathicana is our main focus right now (Tom)

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Right now I think we are heading towards something good with our diverse influences we are blending the most extreme elements of the metal genre and have produced a unique heavy sounding metal band and as we grow as musicians it will only get stronger! I don't think you will ever see us heading towards a more mainstream metal market not with me still in the band anyway \m/ (Mark)

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I think there are too many bands to name when it comes to influences since each individual member of our group has simular but diffrent tastes in metal, I personally listen to a lot of black metal, such as marduk, gorgoroth, mayhem ect. (Tom)

12. How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
It's not for the weak minded (Tom)
Its a good topical theme for writing angry music too. I am a self confessed athiest but I admire how religion has keeped society going since the dawn of time! There has always been some form of something to believe in! (Mark)

13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I draw, and I’m into comic books, videogames, fitness, feminism, LGBT rights, and atheism. I also like history, particularly anything about colonialism and how it’s royally fucked the world up. (Alex)
I have a massive interest in military history weapons castles and keeping my fitness levels up to a high standard (Mark)
Outside of music inside of music I like getting fucked up, I like strongbow, vodka and weed and playing the dirtiest metal can at work to piss off customers at my work! (Clinton)
Gaming, fitness, writing music and just writing in general, satanism, computers, history, science, I like doing a bit of airsofting it gets your blood pumping, a total rush! and of course being unsociable (Tom)

14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
To any fans reading this - thanks for your support! Keep headbanging \m/ (Alex)
Keep listening to extreme fucking metal \m/ (Mark)
We must keep REAL metal alive! Come see us and get your face torn off! (Tom)
Keep suporting metal and your local underground bands, come down to our shows and have a fucking nice day (Clinton

Bandcamp
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment