Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blackend Horizon Interview


1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?

I founded Blackend Horizon in the beginning of 2010.
I came up with the idea to make music on my own during 2009, because I had problems to find a band to play with so I kept on working on my ideas.
The best of them were recorded during autumn 2010 but the only track from I (...wasted life) you can find on the web (Youtube) is "Wasted Life".
Yeah... I guess you can hear that the sound has changed a lot since then, so the quality (Instruments, lyrics, vocals, etc.) does.
The first works were more Death Metal influenced.
...the text under the Video is ...kind if immature if I see it from my todays point of view.
But back then I wrote it and I don´t regret it.
Today I would use other word, but the message would be the same.

2.How would you describe your musical sound?

That´s tricky.
... I think I don´t have that kind of distance to my music to describe it.
Maybe in a few years.
Other people could do it better then me.
So ... yes... other people should describe it.
Because I don´t have the distance and I want to prevent me from answers like:
" It is the pure essence of the evil and satanic darkness which dwells in me!"
Or stuff like these...because that is not what I am.
Who I am.
I mean i would say it as a joke... but a few people would take it serious.
To serious maybe...

But i like to joke around that my recordings would be kind of cult or oldschool now when i would have done them in the 90´s.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Dark themes.
Expressionist themes i guess.
War, sadness, lonelyness, despair... stuff like these.
I don´t write a song to my lyrics... maybe it sounds strange but the lyrics are ...lets say most of the lyrics are in the songs i write.
I hear the instrumentals again and again and they help me to figure out, which theme fits best to this song.
Some lyrics may be more personal then others.
Some lyrics which are unused now are kind of surreal... i think it is a funny aspect of the german language that you can fuck it up and it still got a kind of sense.
Cities inspire me a lot at least theiry dark sides and the ugliness.
I don´t like cities in generall. They are to loud and busy.
I prefer nature and villages.
I wrote war.
You will never find lyrics in my music which will glorify it!
Because war is not glory at all.
But it is an intersting topic for lyrical themes.
I even thought of writing more political lyrics...but other musicians are doing it better than me.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
I came up with the idea ( beware of a coming stereotype!!) while i was wandering through the forest and moores around the village i lived in back then.
It was before a thunderstorm and i just kept on looking into the sky and to the horizon.
So that´s the story of how the name was born.
Not very spectecular i guess.
Blackend Horizon is just another writing of Blackened Horizon, because i found out that there are many Bands with this name.
But after i ereased the e i liked that it is kind of interpretive.
Because of BlackEND Horizon you know?
And even today i ask myself, what is a Blackend Horizon... what would a Blackend Horizon be...
Kind of easy it would be a Horizon with a black end ...but what is the black end ... what is behind the black end...
I like to think about it... but i don´t know in which way it has influenced me when it comes to my lyrics.

5.Currently there is only 1 member in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
Hard question.
I guess it would be fun to play some of the stuff live... but i don´t like the idea of session musicians.
And i don´t know how Blackend Horizon would sound like if more persons than me would bring their ideas into the band.
Maybe better...maybe not.
Hard question... future will show the answer.


6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?

Recieved any interest?
Haha!
That would be some great news!

No... i am unsigned now...and ...humm...
Maybe a label would be helpfull...but i don´t know how it would have influence on my independence.
I can release when i want, what i want...
Sure... it is hard work and a lot of money, time, sweat and blood is flowing into Blackend Horizon ... it is not easy at all...
But when i have done the final mastering of new songs... it is a great feeling that you have done all this on your own, the logo, recordings, CD´s, photographys for the covers, etc...
It is great!

But to be honest:
It would be interesting to work with a label and maybe it would be easier...but till now no label contact me and i haven´t contact any label...maybe because i don´t think that my music and the quality of my music would be something a label would sign.

But we will look what will happen in the future...

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about your anti fascist philosophy?

Fascism is no opinion, fascism crime!
And it is necessary to fight it!
I know fascist violence...and i know why i am against it...against them.
I am against anti semitism, racism, and all what Nazis and people like these stand for, because for shit like these ...there is no space in todays world.
We are way to progressiv for thinking in races or classes.
We are all one race and it is called human!
And NSBM ... it would be laughable if it wouldn´t be so effectife.
I mean:
They cloud their flock mentality with the individuality Black Metal stands for.
And it works.
Sad.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

Oh.
Honestly?
Till now i just got one mail from Great Britan with feedback to my music.
All the other feedback comes from a few friends and thats it.
And one person wrote at the RABM-Blogspot that i brought him into Black Metal.
I guess ...that is very cool.
I am proud of it.
Haha!

I mean i can see that my demos are downloaded....so i guess some people actually like my music.
Thats the feedback i got.
More feedback would be helpfull.

Except mails like the one which i got which told me that i have to let politics out of Black Metal otherwise they will find me and kill me.
... stupid people.


9.Are there any other musical projects or is this full time?

I also play bass-guitar and do the backing vocals in a Post-Death Metal Band.

But Blackend Horizon is a kind of full time job besides my job at work.
And i take it serious.
Not too serious but serious enough to put my heart into it.
I learned all the instruments that i play on my own and i practice them daily to get better.
Except on II (...thoughts) where the drums are done with Guitar Pro (but i arrangend them on my real drumkit) and the synthesizer parts, all the instruments you hear are played by myself.


10.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I guess it would be a mixture of IV and III (...Zwischenspiel).
At least the new songs are sounding like that.
I am also planning to release IV as a tape, getting merch stuff and getting it sold.
Ha!
I wonder if somebody would buy it.


11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Uh... i guess you could say that bands like Endstille, Alcest, Fäulnis, Necrofrost, Nagelfar, Waldgelfüster, Ravnsvart, Gorgoroth, Lifelover, Ulver, etc. have influenced me and my music.

Black Metal isn´t just the only subgenre i listen to.
I listen to nearly all Metal genres in general.
And a lot of underground stuff too and punk of course!

My favourite Bands are:
Dysangelium
Plage
Enslaved
Endstille
Nagelfar
Slowly Rotten
Miserere Luminis
Dritte Wahl
Graupel
Todgelichter
Shining
Excrementory Grindfuckers
At the gates
Quetschenpaua
Black Sabbath
Der Weg einer Freiheit
Plague Upon The Ocean
Desaster
Vladimir Harkonnen
Ancst
Fäulnis
Marduk
Illdisposed
BlackShore
Waldgeflüster

and i could write a lot more but i will end here.
12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Nature, Books and philosophy.
And speak out your opinion!
13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

In a free mind is no space for leaders!

And i want to thank all the people which are supporting me.
And especially i want to thank those people which helped me through hard times!
You know who you are!

By the way:
Thank you for offering me my first interview!
Greetings,

T.

Facebook
SoundCloud

1 comment:

  1. Vergeude nicht deine Zeit
    damit, dass du das Leben eines anderen lebst. Lass dich nicht von Dogmen einengen. Dogmen sind das Ergebnis des Denkens anderer Menschen. Lass nicht zu, dass der Lärm anderer Menschen deine eigene innere Stimme übertönt. Und vor allem: Habe Mut deinem Herzen und deiner Intuition zu folgen.

    It was a very good interview. Thank's a lot!

    ReplyDelete