Monday, July 22, 2013

Nefaria Interview

  •  
  • 1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
  • 1. Nefaria is the uttermost extension of my being, it's sounds are my energy through a sonic filter. Drawing from a variety of influences, I turn my lifeblood into a perfect achievement and reflection of my soul and deepest thought. 
  • 2.How would you describe your musical sound?
  • 2. Nefaria is ever-changing, as it reflects my current moods and interests. Demo I & IV - The Searing Winds of Supremacy is done in an old-school epic raw black metal format, with undertones of depression, as that was my original intent with the project. Demo II sees a foray into darker and more atmospheric black metal, this darkness has been expanded upon into more caustic and unnerving territory in yet-to-be-released demos. Recently however, I have been writing again in my original, 'epic' style, as I have reached as far into dark dissonance as I can for now, and the old feeling has been invigorated with new sounds and influence.
  • 3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the project explores with the music?
    3. Lyrics-wise I write about subjects that interest me, most commonly the darkest and most foreboding acts of mankind. Genocide, torture, murder, rape, war, and incest have all been covered thus far, and will be expanded upon in the future. Currently I am composing lyrics for a demo that is soon to be recorded at the Burial Grounds in Salem, Oregon entitled "Demo VI - Vitriolic Excursions Through the Infernal Fields." This release is a concept about dreams and exploration within forbidden regions of the mind. I also write lyrics upon various occult studies, such as the Knights Templar, the Order of the Black Sun, and the Lovecraft mythos.
    4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the project's name?
    4. The project's name is taken from the title of the 5th STRIBORG album, "Nefaria." STRIBORG has been a huge influence in my writing, and thus is naturally an influence on my nomenclature. I wanted a strong singular word that captures the themes behind my project, and Nefaria, meaning a dark and particularly insidious evil, is perfect.
    5. On one of the demo's you had a Rotting Christ cover, what was the decision behind doing this classic song?
    5. ROTTING CHRIST has been another long-time influence on Nefaria, along with VARATHRON, NECROMANTIA, THOU ART LORD, and other Hellenic black metal bands. The Sign of Evil Existence was a song i had known for much a long time and a cover was imminent. 
    6. According to the fb page you have some more releases coming up, can you tell us a little bit more about them and what musical direction they will take?
    6. Demo III - Blood will take a further plunge away from the sound on Demo II, with more atmospheric moments and funeral doom influences. It features two re-recordings from Demo II and is scheduled for an October release. Demo V - Fire will be yet another departure in sound from the previous demo, utilizing more synth/dark ambient pieces, and more funeral doom influence. The Nefaria/Sylvan Frost split will be a release between my two solo projects. The Nefaria side is the most dismal and dreary recording done thus far, with even more dark ambient/horror synth and doom influence, and the Sylvan Frost side will be pure old-school death metal in the vein of MORBID ANGEL, IMMOLATION, MORTICIAN, INCANTATION, and OBITUARY, done with cavernous production, and a swirling, sweltering dark ambient conclusion. Demo VI - Vitriolic Excurisons will be recorded over the winter, and will be a blend of horror-film-soundtrack dark ambient and caustic dissonant black/death. Demo VII - True Honour, will also be recorded this winter, and will be of completely different sound, more in the vein of early ROTTING CHRIST, MERCYFUL FATE, GRAVELAND, and ELDRIG.
    7.The project is based out of Portland, Oregon but sounds the opposite of the black metal direction most bands out there take, do you feel you stand out from the rest of that scene with having a more traditional approach?
    7. Outside of my musical projects, I do not partake in any "local black metal" scene. I find that it has been invaded by trends and slaves who do not think for themselves, drawing in so much outside influence that it all but obscures the central core. Black metal has ALWAYS been about hatred and darkness, and has no reason to move away from that. My musical projects, especially Nefaria, will always strike away from the grain in todays "scene." If someone finds genuine interest in the sounds I create, then they are worthy. If my name or project ever gets culled into a "bandwagon" or "trend" then that is the exact opposite of my intention. My music is for those who think for themselves, regardless of anyone else's opinion. My style being different than those who exist in the same location as I do has no relevance to the quality of my music, nor theirs.
    8. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
    8. I have been in negotiations with ETERNAL WARFARE records, which is currently on hold, although will be performing distribution for Demo III - Blood when it is released. The head of ETERNAL WARFARE is in such great bands as MANIA, LEECH, NUCLEOPHILIC ATTACK, HELL, and the excellent MERCYFUL FATE cover band LUCIFER'S CHILD. 
    9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
    9. So far, feedback has been slow, local or otherwise, as I am beginning to release my demos. I have, however, received offers from a French distro, as well as have been selling tapes to isolated fans internationally. Things will come with time, as they say.
    10. Are you involved with any other musical projects besides this one?
    10. As previously mentioned, I have another solo project entitled Sylvan Frost, which the first demo, entitled "Funeral Marches Beyond the Grave," will be released in September. It is a collection of two different recording sessions, one in the vein of DEMONCY, PROFANATICA, and BEHERIT, and the other in a more old-school death metal vein a la OBITUARY, MORTICIAN, DISEMBOWELMENT, and AUTOPSY. My more recent Sylvan Frost recording have been in a black/death/noise style with elements of dark ambient, in the vein of HAVOHEJ, VON, and AMAKA HAHINA. I have also been in the now-defunct thrash band called Dr. Loomis, and the band Decayed Veneration, whom will be sharing a split release with Sylvan Frost in the future. I also do vocals for a band called Spectral Manifestation, which is on hiatus, as well as guitars for a band called Void Lust, which is similar in sound to MORBID ANGEL, PORTAL, IMMOLATION, DEMILICH, DEAD CONGREGATION, IMPETUOUS RITUAL, among others.
    11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
    11. One man acts such as STRIBORG and XASTHUR are of heavy influence to me, although I try to push their style further into pure dissonant madness along the lines of DEATHSPELL OMEGA and particularly, BLUT AUS NORD. Outside of those bands, the Hellenic scene (ROTTING CHRIST, VARATHRON, NECROMANTIA), the Polish scene (GRAVELAND, INFERNUM, THOR'S HAMMER), pre 1999 ukranian scene (HATE FOREST, LUCIFUGUM, XUL), and the LLN (MUTIILATION, BELKETRE, VLAD TEPES, MOEVOT, AMAKA HAHINA). Recently, I've been exploring the entirety of the MORBID ANGEL discography, listening to MITHRAS, experimental brutal death metal from the UK, and HORN, epic black metal from Germany. 
    12.How would you describe your views on Occultism?
    12. I have done a wide variety of occult studies throughout my life so far, including ventures into runic studies, Satanism, astral projection and aether experiements, and occult exploration of historical figures such as Rasputin and Heinrich Himmler. I am studying over time to become a medium, to speak with the spirits of the deceased, and to release my form as ectoplasm.
    13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
    13. Outside of my music and my medium/occult studies, I spend much of my time drawing visual interpretations of the horrors one's mind can create. My drawings will be debuted as album art for Demo III.
    14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
    14. Thank you for the time to give this interview, there is much more from Nefaria to come. Infernal hails from the swirling wroth of mire and vengeance, The Orator of Majestic Illness and Pestilence

No comments:

Post a Comment