Sunday, October 20, 2013

Book Of Sand Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the music project these days?


I am waiting on labels for a couple of releases, and working on three new full-lengths.  I am nearing the end of my first set of albums, and there will be some changes after that.

2.Your music covers a lot of ground, can you tell us a little bit more about the evolution of your music over the years?


In the past, I've had some contact or experience with a number of different styles of music.  Obviously, black and doom metal, but also jazz, gamelan, European classical, and various "outsider" genres.  So, these all come out in different ways in my music.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the musical project has explored over the years?


Lyrically, my work is political, often with the lens of my uneducated understanding of theology.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Book Of Sand?


I thought it had the right feeling when I borrowed it.

5.How would you describe your views on Anarchism, Anti Fascism  and  Veganism?


I'm committed to all of those, but as time goes on it seems less worth talking about - from my point of view, these are the only politics that can be justified, but most people already have their minds made up, and change only slowly if at all.

6. Has the musical project ever done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

For now, Book of Sand is strictly a recording-oriented effort.

7.Over the years the band has worked with Music Ruins Live and Paradigms Recordings, do you feel these labels have done a lot for getting  your  name  out  there?

Yes, as did Antithetic Records.  It's not a label, but I am particularly grateful for the way Aquarius Records has helped me out.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?


There hasn't been much.  Some people like it, some people get angry about my politics.  For the most part, people ignore it.  That's fine by me.  Forgive my arrogance, but most of the opinions about my music that I've read haven't been worth worrying about.

9.Are you involved with any other musical projects?


I play guitar in an anarchist black metal band called "Wither," and various other instruments in various other groups (gamelan and free jazz, primarily).  

10.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?


Upwards and outwards, hopefully.  There will be some surprises coming up.

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Lately I've been listening to a cd by U.S. Saucer.  I like about half of it.

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?


At the moment I am learning about electronics.
13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Bandcamp
Facebook
Official website

No comments:

Post a Comment