Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hadoth Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?
Sure thing. Well I am in the process of two things- recording a split with Dodsredskap (a split I was wanting to do since 2006) and also, a full length album. for the split we are about half way there and for the full length album, I have the music written but I need to record it. (coming slowly and surely.) my side of the split will be 2 songs, and the other side will be 4 tracks I think. All original material for both releases.
2.Currently you have a new album in the works, can you tell us a little bit more about it and the musical direction it will be in?
Yes. Well, for this debut I want to drift away quite a bit from the average stereotypical depressive black metal release. It's a sub-genre that I simply don't feel very connected to these days in terms of making music. But, oddly enough the things I write these days sound like Depressive black metal, except I often mix it up with other things. For example, I wrote a song a couple days ago and I actually made up chords for it- and the song structure is a bit bizarre. I just really don't want to make some recycled shit for the debut, so I'm doing my best to make it sound dark while still retaining some kind of innovation.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release will explore?
Well the topics/subjects tend to be fantasy and metaphorically based. Often it centers around melancholic stories of fictional characters, the end of the world, and hopelessness. the Debut might be a lyrical concept album, but we shall see about that.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Hadoth?
Hadoth- personally, I pronounce it as "Hey-Doth". the inspiration came when I was reading a short story by H.P. Lovecraft called "The Outsider". I don't want to give away the story but those interested can read for themselves. It's not a long story, only a couple of pages long. In it, the phrase "the valley of Hadoth" is written. With the ending to the story and the overall theme, the name just really stuck to me and it immediately clicked. What appealed to me the most was when I discovered no one else had ever used it as a band name before, or since for that matter. I hated how every single time I came up with a band name, it was already taken.
5.A couple of ears back you did an album that was all covers, what was the decision behind doing an album which pays homage to some of the greatest depressive black metal bands of all time?
The choice behind this was actually rehearsal reasons. that EP was an attempt to become acquainted with my recording equipment. if you notice, the Trist cover sounds really awful and the other 3 songs sound more pro-produced. That was literally me experimenting. After I was done I thought well....why not share with the world. Of course those were chosen because I do quite admire those bands and songs.
6.Currently there is only 1 member in the project, do you feel you have more control and freedom to do what you want with your music?
Yes. The one person thing occurred simply because when I tried playing in bands from 2004-08, it never worked. I'm selfish when it comes to making music. It needs to be me or not at all.
7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
No active interest has been shown, per se, but I am in contact with labels because I order vinyl records online. I don't want to put any labels on the spot or anything, but I've talked to some of them and they seem quite interested. In 2008 when I started, labels were much more sketchy than they are today- one of them I remember even faked a death. It was so incredibly hard to trust them and that's the exact reason I never had one. now I like certain labels and I hope to sign in the future, as digital music is not something I appreciate very much.
8.Are you involved with any other musical projects besides this one?
No, this one is time consuming as it is. funny enough, I was in Deep-Pression for a while, but I ended my member ship with them unofficially. I was working on a track called "The Marsh" with them but I was dismissed from the group without being notified. It's quite alright though, I don't blame them, I am such a slow worker and as I mentioned before, I am terrible when it comes to being in bands. The only crappy thing is that I like my version of the Marsh better...too bad it will never see the light of day. I came up with some pretty great doom oriented guitars for that one. It only exists in my hard drive now.
9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of depressive black metal? Oh, I would say it's quite good. When I released the 2009 split with Black Plague, that got really widespread response and tons of positive feedback. Also S. Holliman once contacted me himself to ask for a mp3 of my cover because he enjoyed it. That was quite nice.
10.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Away from simplicity and stereotypical depressive black metal directions. More experimental....oh and I've also recently purchased a keyboard Piano, so more classically influenced as well!
11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I listen to several bands today, but lately on my turntable: Lifelover, Arckanum, Trist, Alcest, Iron maiden, Heretoir, Repulsion, Joy Division, and Acid Bath.
In the cassette deck: Thy Light, Moëvöt, Beethoven, and Triste.
Influences:Bathory, Lifelover, Forgotten Woods, endless dismal moan, Black Sabbath, Moëvöt, Trist!
12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I love reading, art, photography- I will be doing my own inlay cards and covers for the future.
13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview
Yes I quite enjoy your review on Painful Assemble and your time to make these good questions thanks for the readers who care...stay tuned.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment