Monday, October 14, 2013

Morphesia Interview

  •  
  • 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit more about the band?
    Morphesia is a Black Metal band from San Diego, California, originally a one man band, it is now a 4 piece band, bringing it's own style of Black Metal to the music world.
    2.How would you describe the musical sound that is present on the demo?
    I tend to write and compose around riffs/chords that have a certain sound, and go from there. "Hell Of Satan" was based around the intro riff, and I knew that the rest of the song would have to follow the characteristics and style of that one riff, while "George Chapman" has a slower, darker sound, focused on one chord and symphonic elements to carry the song.
    I never want to limit Morphesia to a certain sound or sub-sound style, so the demo has different styles from beginning to end, something I will continue to do so with future releases.
    3.According to the Metal Archives page the band has been around since 2005 but released the first demo in 2012, what was the cause of the delay?
    Perfectionism. I composed the first Morphesia songs in 2005. Upon that, I set out to find and try out various members, because in my mind, the band needed 4 other musicians to bring it to life. After 2 years of looking for other musicians, practicing with some and getting no where, I decided to join another band for a short time to find like minded musicians for my band, that "short time" turned into a few years, and within those years, I kept recording and re-recording what would be the first demo, over and over, slowly recordings the missing parts by myself. Finally, in 2012, I decided to do everything myself, from vocals to drum programming, which would be the only way Morphesia would come to life.
    4.Can you tell us a little bit bit more about the song lyrics on the demo?
    The lyrics are my own personal views and experiences, which I intend to keep unpublished. Listening to Morphesia without lyrics, will allow the listener to de-fragment and take the music for themselves, giving it a meaning of their own.
    5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Morphesia?
    I wanted something that would envision the dark art that "Morpheus" does for H.R. Giger, so I came up with "Morphesia' which in my mind, sounds like something that would be from that cold, dark world, suits the music well
    6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
    Playing a show where people support and enjoy what we do is always best, almost all the shows had some sort of chaos, whether it was on-stage or from the crowd.
    Straight-forward and aggressive, I strive to provide an environment when we are on stage to enhance the visual aspect of live shows.
    7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
    I do have plans for both of those with Morphesia, and with time allowing so, they will happen.
    8.According to the fb page, you recently did a Gorgoroth cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?
    I've always enjoyed playing that song, I felt it would be a great addition to our live shows and would relate to the music Morphesia has to offer.
    9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
    I am open to see where that would go, but signed or not, my focus is and will be to create the music of Morphesia.
    10.What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
    I still play guitar for Squirrelly Arts, Chris Bourne (bassist) and Allan (guitarist) have kept very busy touring with their main band, Ruines Ov Abaddon.
    11.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
    It's been amazing, people from all over the world have listened to or fully supported the initial release, with favorable reviews and expectations for future releases. Several music blog sites have reviewed the demo and liked what they heard.
    I also noticed how fast the album was uploaded to different underground music downloading sites.
    12.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
    Composing songs that fulfill my dark vision of Morphesia within my head.
    13.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
    My biggest influence for Morphesia is Old Man's Child, Galder is an amazing guitarist, alongside Infernus. My only influence for Morphesia is Black Metal, every time I hear something from bands ranging form Burzum to Dimmu Borgir to Wolves In The Throne Room to Dark Funeral, I get the urge to write or compose something that creates those feelings/visions I get when I listen to them.
    My listening tastes vary, if I'm not searching and listening to Black Metal on YouTube or Soundcloud, I enjoy blasting some Messhugah, Chelsea Wolfe, Cattle Decaptitation and as always, Korn.
    14.How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
    I decided to forge my own "left hand path" and have no relations to any other views set for Satanism/Occultism, the Morphesia logo is symbolism for that.
    15.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
    At this point in time, my life is consumed with music, when I'm not practicing, recording, composing, playing shows or spending time with my lovely girlfriend, I'm working on guitar videos, lyrics or checking out new gear/guitars.
    16.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
    Thank you for taking the time to check out Morphesia and for this interview, good luck with everything.
    Z

  • Bandcamp
    Facebook
    ReverbNation
    YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment