Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Ecferus Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Ecferus began simply as a way to explore the riffs that weren't getting used in my other band. I gravitate more towards black metal aesthetics when I write, and my band at the time was more of a thrashy hybrid. Inevitably there were some riffs getting shelved. I've been recording for a while so Ecferus was just another extension of that. It's by far the most realized thing I've ever done, though.

2.You have a cassette coming out later this year, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I tried to create an atmosphere of traveling through prehistoric times and landing in different parts of the world. Not sure I achieved that, but that's how I envisioned it. I also used some soundbites of a brilliant mythology writer and scholar, Joseph Campbell, to sort of mold this primitive consciousness I was trying to create. Musically the aesthetics are fairly black metal influenced, but I don't adhere to any strict traditional standards that might imply. Sometimes you have to come up with words to describe your music to people, and that tends to be "atmospheric black metal".

3.Your lyrics cover evolutionary anthropology, mythology and science, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

Prehistory implies that no written record exists to describe the psyche of early humans. Anthropology and science give insight into migrations, behavior, diet, tool making - but can't tell a personal story of human struggle. The impetus for Ecferus was a fascination in inventing this early psyche and writing about its struggle for survival. I like to think that on an unconscious level what I'm doing is not so different than primitive mythologies of the world. They were using their imagination to explain the unknown. Honestly I'm only a novice when it comes to these subjects but they resonate with me strongly when I write.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ecferus'?

Ecferus is Latin for "savage". I just stumbled upon it one day and immediately it seemed perfect.

5.With this project you record everything solo, are you open to working with other musicians on this project in the future?

I'd really like to work on some splits. It would be great to put something together that's somewhat a collaboration and not just throwing a random song at a project. As far as other artists performing on Ecferus songs, I wouldn't count that out, as I'm friends with plenty of great musicians, but nothing is planned for the foreseen future.

6.The cassette is going to be released on Fragile branch Recordings, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Fragile Branch is label based out of West Virginia that focuses on cassette and vinyl releases. They've been consistently putting out quality stuff, co-releasing with other labels, and keep a very respectable distro stock. I discovered them while researching some of the great Appalachian black metal going on right now. My dad's side of the family all come from West Virginia, and I never got the opportunity to know any of them. My great grandfather was a fiddle player and worked in coal mines his entire life. I guess being a part of a label that supports that music gives me a bit of a kinship with that part of my lineage.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music so far by fans of black metal?

Well, because this is a debut, not many people have heard it at all. My friends dig it, but I haven't gotten feedback anywhere else besides the label. Over the coming months I look forward to hearing people's reaction to it, though.

8.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

The band I was playing in when Ecferus was conceived has since dissolved, but there were some songs left over that never got recorded. One or two of us will probably reinvent it as a recording project sooner or later.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I'd like to work on my drumming chops and double bass a bit; get a little faster. I don't use programmed drums, so don't want my drumming limitations to hold back the music. As far as the sound of recordings go, I want to layer a lot more guitar parts and create a bigger, more massive sound. I'm working on a couple of new songs at the moment and hope to employ all these elements.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Some bands that have blown me away recently are Howls of Ebb, Thantifaxath, a lot of the Icelandic metal going on right now is killer, like Carpe Noctem and Svartidauði. I caught Anicon and Yellows Eyes on tour recently and they were both incredible. Both of their most recent releases are outstanding.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Well, I'm married and have a young son, so music is about all I have time for. Maybe when my son gets a little older I'll actually read a book again or something.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

The cassette will be released soon so check Fragile Branch's site to pick it up. Also, I hope to have some splits and/or EP's coming out later this year. Thank you to OBMZ for taking the time to do this interview.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment