Saturday, August 6, 2016

Horse Drawn Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Jonny - Sure, Horse Drawn has been around in concept and physically on and off since around 2007 (then under the name Horse Drawn Death Machine). I started recording music on my own around that time. In 2010/2011 Bryce and I started to form it as a full band and that went on for a few years. We went on a brief hiatus in which time we both did some work with various other bands. We decided to reform as a 2 piece (for now) and make some new music. Since stylistically were going in a different direction, we took out the "Death Machine" from our name since its a new phase of this band. We used to incorporate elements of doom, rock and roll, psychedelic rock, and southern rock into our music, but we decided to take a straight forward Black Metal approach this time and we're both much happier with the outcome.

2.Currently you are working on an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Jonny - We really wanted to take a straight forward Black Metal approach this time. We're not trying to reinvent the wheel here. We're not trying to be groundbreaking or genre defying. We just want to make some music in a genre we both love. No need for subgenres or any of that (although I'm sure once we release the EP, those will get thrown around haha).
Bryce - Very aggressive, faster than before and much more angry. There are melodic parts as well to me that feel very bleak but uplifting. It's really easy for me to tap into this music and bust out lyrics. Some of it is more unconventional at times which needs to happen so you stand out, instead of being repetitious.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Bryce - Good question. There isn't really a general theme from song to song on this EP. It varies. But if any of these songs have the same subject matter it's the first and last. They're both about how as a human being living in such a vast universe that's ever expanding, it makes me feel very small and insignificant. As if any of the dilemmas I've had in my life don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. They also deal with how I feel as if I don't know where I belong sometimes. Feeling completely lost and out of touch with the person I've become. Wanting to just leave everything behind but realizing that this is where you belong. And anywhere else you go will become just like your home and you'll end up hating it. So they get very personal for me at times. The other lyrics have their own vibe. One is based heavily on my thoughts on religion. Just personal experiences with people that wear their crosses like a curse. Judgmental, hypocritical, everything you shouldent be. The other is about a satanic high priest who makes a sacrifice to conjure demons and release them into the world. kind of a dunwich vibe too it.

4.originally the band was known as 'Horse Drawn Death Machine', what was the decision behind shortening the name?
Jonny - Since its still technically the same band as long as Bryce and I are both involved, but we don't have the same members as before, and stylistically its different, we decided to shorten it. Most people ended up just calling us Horse Drawn anyway, and we got to a point where the "Death Machine" was just kind of cheesy.

5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band are you open to expaning the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?
Jonny - At our core it will always probably be a duo. We do intend on finding a bassist and drummer, but we want to make sure its the right fit. We're not always the easiest guys to deal with, and we need to make sure everyone gets along.

6.Has the band done any live shows?
Jonny - In older versions of this band, yes. We've played many shows and have done a couple small tours together. This time around, we have some shows coming up in September, and plan to book more after the new year. Our focus right now is recording.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Bryce - Yes we have received interest from a few people. Which neither of us expected at all to be honest. We are working with a few labels on this release. Obviously I'm not gonna give away all of that information just yet. But we are very grateful to work with people that are understanding and supportive of us. I wouldn't say that we are a "signed" band by any means. I think if you have the funds (which not everyone does) being self reliant is the best way to go.
Jonny - I agree completely with Bryce. Labels are becoming more and more unneccesary as time goes on. Thats not to say I'm not eternally grateful for the labels who are working with us. I would prefer to work with smaller labels. They tend to care more, and work harder. Bryce and I are broke as hell, so when it comes time to cough up the money for pressing and PR, it's awesome to have some people on our side who are also invested in what we're doing. We have friends in some bands on some various big name labels, as well as some experience ourselves, and honestly, I feel like the smaller guys care more and are easier to deal with.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Bryce - Honestly I don't think to many people have heard this new track yet. But everyone that has listened has shared nothing but positivity. Which is really cool. I don't think anyone that I've talked to has complained about it. Haha.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Bryce - I'm not sure to be honest. This band now is a lot different than it used to be. It's visceral and aggressive. It almost has some sort of a grind influence too me as well. So it can only go up from here. I don't personally think about what I want to write or anything. I just play and eventually It just happens. The riffs find you.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Bryce - For black metal I'd have to say the few big ones for me are Nachtmystium, Twilight, Kreig, Levaithan, Wolvhammer, Darkthrone (the cult is alive) Midnight. Shining. Naglafar, Xasthur, tribulation, I also like sludge a lot. Eyehategod, superjoint ritual, lord mantis, I've been listening to Time by Mercyful Fate on repeat. And besides that it's country. Hank Williams, Hank Jr. Hank 3, Always listening to this album straight to hell. Joebuck yourself. I also do like some pop music. It is what it is man. There isn't any shame in the shit you like. If some fuck tries to tell you other wise fuck them. I also enjoy old nu metal that I used to listen to when I was like 14. Slipknot, korn, mudvayne. No fucks given.

Jonny - As far as black metal goes, to this day Abigail Williams is hands down my favorite. Ken has been a big influence on me musically. Nachtmystium is also a big one for me as well. Assassins and Addicts changed how I approach Black Metal. Twilight was fantastic. I'm also really into Falls of Rauros lately. Wodensthrone has been a regular one for me lately too. Wolves In The Throne Room, Alcest, Taake, Shining, and the list goes on. Beyond that, outside of black metal, I'm also into doom and get nostalgic for early 2000's metalcore haha. Maybe I shouldn't admit that, but who cares! I'm also just as into The Allman Brothers, Country Music, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, and tons of other shit. It doesnt always have to be metal!

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Jonny - I work in a Tattoo shop, so that's a big part of my life. I also enjoy working on and repairing guitars. I don't really like a lot of things, so outside of making music, I don't have a ton of hobbies. If it wasn't for my girlfriend, I probably wouldn't leave my house much.

Bryce - I cook at a restaurant. I guess I like cooking sometimes. (Shrugs) I more or less like to cook for my girlfriend and Myself more than anything. Other than that I enjoying hanging out with her. I'm a home body and I don't like to be away for too long. Smoking buds. Haha. I don't really have many interests outside of music. Haha We are very simple people. Don't like to go out much at all. I'd rather sit at home than go to bars or anything.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Smoke Weed and Hail Satan

Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment